The Irish Flying & Fancy Pigeon society held its annual show on Saturday October 23rd in the Kilmurry Lodge hotel in Limerick City, Ireland. This is our 9th year running our show and seems to be getting better and stronger as the years go on.
Before I go through the results, there are a lot of people I want to thank. 1st of all I need to thank my wife Elaine who spends hours sorting out the entries for the show and my son Owen who always is great help over the weekend. I also would like to thank my two right hand men over the weekend, Darrin Ring and Kevin Kelly, I couldn't have got through the weekend without them. I would like to thank Keith Sheedy, Albert Hogan and Micheal Kiely who set up the pens on the Friday morning with my brother Maurice and his friend Mike. We had other club members who helped out over the weekend, we had Seamus Barrett and his wife Orla who spent most of Saturday on the door collecting admission, we had Richard Bunn who donated our spot prize for our raffle, we had Brendan Tobin who donated hardboard cut to measure for under our pens free of charge, we had Dominic Byrne and Martin Dunne who kept an eye on everything over the weekend, to make sure everything ran smoothly. Also a big thank you to the few lads who stayed on Sunday morning to load the pens, Darrin Ring, John O'Brien and Brendan Tobin. Also a big thanks you to all our exhibitors who showed their birds in immaculate condition, supported the show in whatever way they could, lads raised money with our sponsorship cards, bought and donated birds at our auction and bought tickets for our raffle. As regards our charity 'Milford Hospice' which is very important to us we raised that magic figure again this year of 1000Euro. One of the main positives from the show this year was our eight new exhibitors, who were showing for the very first time, so we had a new 'Best Newcomer' prize, the Gene Brennan Memorial Cup, which was presented by his wife Eileen and family who travelled a long distance to present the prize on the night. A big thank you to our Judges for the weekend, we had three Irish Judges, Richard Bunn, Martin Dunne and Pat O'Donnell, we had three judges from Germany, Thomas Hellmann, Philip Fritz and Prof. Hans Schille and our good friends from England, Jo Taylor and Bruce Pullen, last of all we had a pleasant surprise on the Saturday Morning when Jamie Vaughan and his mother Karen flew in to our show for the day, Jamie also helped out with some judging, a great job was done by all. Like last year we had our prize giving on the Saturday night which went very well and when that was over, we had live music organised of which we had the night before as well, which went down a treat, a great time was had by all. The hotel staff as usual were great hosts and looked after us in every way they could all through the weekend, the food in the hotel was tremendous, they supplied teas and coffees for the judges on Saturday and kept the bar open late both nights. Last but not least, a sincere thank you from everyone in the club to the INFPA, which we are very proud to be affiliated to. The Association presented at our show for the first time their new INFPA Championship Certificates and new INFPA Championship Pendants. These Certificates and pendants were also presented to the show free of charge and were looking very impressive and professional. Exciting times ahead, knowing that all INFPA members can now try to breed that real Champion. Just to finish, we are all looking forward to next year already, which will be our 10th anniversary.
- Best Tagenroger Tumbler - Rebecca Travers
- Best Cappuchine - Darren Cary
- Best Oriental Roller - Richard Bunn
- Best Old German Owl - Kevin Kelly
- Reserve Best Irish Flying Tumbler - John O'Brien
- Best Irish Flying Tumbler - Anthony Robinson
- Best Limerick Tumbler - John Fitzgerald
- Best Pouter - Joshua O' Brien with a Saxon Pouter
- Best Tagenroger/Russian Tumbler - Owen Fitzgerald with a Russian Tumbler
- Best Birmingham Roller - Keith Heffernan
- Best Old Dutch Tumbler/ Oriental Roller/Show Racer - Richard Bunn with a Old Dutch Tumbler
- Best Fantail - John O'Brien with an Indian Fantail
- Best Cappuchine/ Lahore - Owen Fitzgerald with a Lahore
- Best Old German Owl/ Nun - Richard Bunn with a Nun
- Best AOV - Ken Clay with a Show Roller
- Best Junior - Kevin Mulcaire with a Show Racer
- Best New Comer - Brendan Tobin with an Irish Flying Tumbler
- Best Bird in Show - The Michael Mc Donnell Cup - John Fitzgerald with a Limerick Tumbler.
- Reserve Best Bird in Show - The Austin Quinn Snr. Cup - John O'Brien with an Indian Fantail
- Best Opp. Sex - The John Reid Cup - Richard Bunn with a Nun
- Best Flyer - The Mary Gilroy Cup - Anthony Robinson with an Irish Flying Tumbler
P.S: A big thank you to our good friend Thomas Hellmann who took professional photographs of all our winners.
Yours in Sport,
John Fitzgerald (Sec).